Custom Search

Welcome to A Day In The Life of Sarah
A Mom Saving Memories

This blog is all about my life as a Christian single mother of four young children, one of whom is autistic. I blog about everything from funny stories to serious inspirations. Check out "Sarah's Savvy Savings" to read my time and money saving tips! If you are hunting for something specific check out the labels list on the sidebar or you can browse through the archives. Feel free to leave comments! I'd love to hear your funny stories and advice!


What is Mom Saving Memories Doing?

Friday, February 20, 2009

Josiah is Sleeping in His Own Room!

Last Friday, I decided Josiah needed to start sleeping in his own room. He's been sleeping through the night since he was a few weeks old, but has had a lot of congestion and breathing issues so I've resisted moving him away from my room. Alas, I knew if I didn't do it soon before I knew it, I would have a toddler sleeping in my bed.
I picked the day and early on in the day, I moved all of his stuff out of my room. I was hoping this would solidify my decision in my mind. I also voiced my decision to my mom and sister. There would be no turning back now! Of course this move to his room would be very difficult! All day I prepared myself for the worst and before I knew it, it was time to put Josiah to bed. I put him in his bed and kissed him goodnight. I arranged everything in his bed just right. I gazed at his beautiful face for awhile then leaned down and kissed him again. He had gotten used to holding on to my fluffy bath robe while he fell asleep, then after he fell asleep I would slip it away from him. So I layed the bath robe up against his face just the way he liked it, and placed it in his little hands. Eventually, I was confident that I had everthing "just so". I kissed him one last time and whispered the words, "goodnight sweetie". I crept out of the room. A few minutes went by. I worried that he might have gotten the robe over his face so I creeped back into his room just to be sure he was still safe. All was well, so once again I left my little angel, all alone, to sleep by himself. I tried to busy myself around the house, but the nagging voice in my head was demanding that I check on Josiah. So, once again, back to his room I went. Josiah gave me one of his adorable grins as I peeked in his room. Of course he was fine. I left him again, surprised at how well he seemed to be handling sleeping all by himself. I got ready for bed, then thought I better check on him one last time. I was sure he must be missing me by now and totally frightened by my absence. So I peeked in again, stirring him from a very relaxed sleepy state. I tried to convince myself he would be fine and decided I should try to get some sleep of my own. I laid down in my bed. My bed seemed so big and empty without him in his bouncy seat, sleeping peacefully next to me. I made sure the baby monitor was on with the volume all the way up. I laid there for awhile, then I heard something! A small rustling noise came from the monitor. I thought, "This is it! He's waking up and realizing I'm not there. He'll start crying any minute!" I wanted to be sure I was there to comfort him and reassure him that he would be okay so I got up and crept into his room. His eyes were closed. He wasn't crying. I stayed for awhile admiring his sweet, angelic face. I thought about how peaceful he was and how totally oblivious he was to his momma's fretting! I went back to bed and after a good hour of lying there waiting for his frightened cry, I fell asleep. I woke early the next morning and immediately went to Josiah's room. There he was still sound asleep! Josiah had slept through the night in his own room! Yes, it sure was a difficult night but I did it! I put Josiah in his own room, now I just need to get myself sleeping through the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments here!

Tom the Toad by Sarah Carter