Custom Search

Welcome to A Day In The Life of Sarah
A Mom Saving Memories

This blog is all about my life as a Christian single mother of four young children, one of whom is autistic. I blog about everything from funny stories to serious inspirations. Check out "Sarah's Savvy Savings" to read my time and money saving tips! If you are hunting for something specific check out the labels list on the sidebar or you can browse through the archives. Feel free to leave comments! I'd love to hear your funny stories and advice!


What is Mom Saving Memories Doing?

Sunday, February 8, 2009

I Am Blocking, MOM! (That is blocking the ball from hitting me!)

This is Zachariah's first year participating in Upwards Basketball, a non-competitive way to learn how to play the sport. Having never played any sports before, Zach is really struggling to learn the rules of the game. Every week after his practice and game I try to just pick one thing that he can really concentrate on for the next week. The first couple weeks, I had him concentrate on staying with his team as they ran from one side of the court to the other. The third week, he was out sick with a horrible cold! I'm thinking, of all the kids to have to miss a game and practice night Zach was the one that couldn't afford it! The fourth week, I explained to him the importance of staying right on the guy he's supposed to be guarding. At the next game, it was apparent Zach was following my advice. He was glued to his guy the whole time and even had his arms out just like he'd been taught! I found it odd, though, that he was staying right behind the person he was guarding. Like a little shadow he followed them with his arms out. Several times I yelled out to him, "In front! You need to be in front of him". But Zach just gave me this look that said, "I have it under control mom!" I gave up shaking my head in despair. I knew what my bit of advice would be this week! On the way home, I praised Zach for staying with his guy with such tenacity. Then I carefully told him that when you are guarding someone you really should be in front of them. I went on to explain why it was so important to block the other guy from getting the ball. Zach informed me that he understood all of this. Then he went on to tell me that he was "blocking the ball!" That is, he was staying behind the other guy so they would block the ball from hitting him! Being short in stature, Zach had figured out that if he guarded from behind his person there was no chance of the ball hitting him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments here!

Tom the Toad by Sarah Carter